‘The Hunger Games’ Cast Members to Attend Select Wal-mart Midnight Release Parties
If you needed an excuse to drag your butt out in the middle of the night to go to Wal-mart, here’s a good one: some members of ‘The Hunger Games’ cast will be attending select midnight release parties being held in specific cities around the country. Parties will include:
- District Parties featuring special giveaways, movie trivia and the opportunity to win exclusive The Hunger Games prizes
- Fans who purchase the DVD at midnight will receive a special pack of collectible The Hunger Games trading cards, while supplies last. A select number of random packs will include an autographed card from one of the cast members.
- Customers who prefer to pre-order The Hunger Games 2-disc Blu-ray or DVD online at Walmart.com prior to the movie’s release on August 18 will have a chance to win a trip to Los Angeles to attend The Hunger Games: Catching Fire premiere or other exclusive prizes.
- In select stores, fans will have the opportunity to meet the following cast members:
- TBD in Dallas, TX (1521 N Cockrell Hill Rd, Dallas, TX)
- TBD in Miami, FL (1425 NE 163rd St, North Miami Beach, FL)
- TBD in Phoenix, AZ (1825 W Bell Rd, Phoenix, AR)
- TBD in Santa Clarita, CA (26471 Carl Boyer Dr, Santa Clarita, CA)
- Atlanta, GA, TBD (2795 Chastain Meadows Pkwy. Marietta, GA)
For specific store locations and event activities, please visit: http://instoresnow.walmart.com/Event-Detail.aspx?txtEventID=1017
Read below the cut for the official press release.
BENTONVILLE, Ark., August, 13, 2012 – Hunger Games fans, today the odds are ever in your favor! Whether you are from District 1 or District 12, beginning at 11 p.m. on Friday, August 17, Walmart stores nationwide will host more than 2,000 parties featuring special giveaways, movie trivia and much more – all in honor of The Hunger Games. In addition to the midnight parties, Walmart will host exclusive, special guest appearances by actors from the film in the following cities: Marietta, GA, Dallas, TX, Miami, FL, Phoenix, AZ and Santa Clarita, CA.
Fans who purchase the DVD at midnight will receive a special pack of collectible The Hunger Games trading cards. A select number of random packs will include an autographed card from one of the cast members including Jennifer Lawrence, Liam Hemsworth and Josh Hutcherson. Never-before-seen interviews and behind-the-scenes footage of leading cast members will also be accessible for fans on Walmart’s Facebook page: www.facebook.com/walmart.
“Together with Lionsgate Entertainment, we are providing Hunger Games fans with a unique and fun way to celebrate and purchase one of the most anticipated DVD releases of the year,” said Seong Ohm, senior vice president and general manager of entertainment for Walmart U.S. “When it comes to entertainment, whether it’s through our broad selection of new releases or licensed merchandise, customers can rely on Walmart to carry the items they want at a price they can afford.”
Customers who prefer to pre-order The Hunger Games 2-disc Blu-ray or DVD online at Walmart.com prior to the movie’s release on August 18 will have a chance to win a trip to Los Angeles to attend The Hunger Games: Catching Fire premiere or other exclusive prizes.
Walmart will also have an exclusive The Hunger Games 2-disc Blu-ray or DVD movie gift set that includes a mockingjay pendant and digital UltraViolet copy. Offering an UltraViolet copy with a new release is a first for Lionsgate Entertainment, and will enable customers to upload their purchased movies to an online digital library, such as Walmart’s industry-leading video streaming service, VUDU. Once rights are confirmed, customers can watch The Hunger Games anytime, anywhere from most Internet-connected devices, including televisions, tablets, smartphones, gaming consoles and more.
“We are delighted to partner with Walmart on our biggest home entertainment release ever as the motion picture event of the year becomes the home entertainment event of the year,” said Ron Schwartz, executive vice president and general manager of home entertainment for Lionsgate. “The Hunger Games is the perfect title to become Lionsgate’s first Ultraviolet release as we continue to expand the choices available to our consumers.”
Live Twitter Party:
Walmart and Jen Sbranti of Hostess with the Mostess will pay tribute to The Hunger Games by hosting a live Twitter party for fans on Thursday, August 16 beginning at 4:00pm ET. Participants can follow @Walmart and use the hashtag #DistrictParty to join the conversation and get tips and ideas about hosting their own The Hunger Games themed viewing party to celebrate the DVD release.
The list of stores that will hold the midnight events can be found at: http://instoresnow.walmart.