Where to Buy The Hunger Games on Blu-ray and DVD in the UK
With the release of The Hunger Games on Blu-ray and DVD (finally) in the UK, many different stores across the nation have different versions and different giveaways with each copy. So for all you UK based fans the following breakdown charts the majority of choices you have.
So, first things first, very important > the blu-ray is the original cut of the film, so includes the 7 seconds and minor gore that was edited out for cinema screenings. The DVD has a 12 certificate and the Blu-ray has a 15 certificate – so choose wisely. Some versions on Blu-ray also have the 12 certificate version included on a separate disc (make sure to check the back cover).
The following are the standard special features available on every DVD copy:
• “The World is Watching: Making of The Hunger Games” – an eight-part documentary covering the “making of” the film in all aspects from the pre-production process all the way through the theatrical release and fan reactions
• “Game Maker: Suzanne Collins and The Hunger Games Phenomenon” featurette
• “Letters from the Rose Garden” featurette – insights from Donald Sutherland on the development of his role as President Snow
• “Controlling the Games” featurette – stories and concepts behind creating the control center
• “A Conversation with Gary Ross and Elvis Mitchell”
• Propaganda Film (in its entirety)
• Marketing Archive
On every standard Blu-ray copy there is one extra special feature:
• “Preparing for The Games: A Director’s Process”
Now to get to the exclusives in different stores. First up is Sainsbury’s which is the only copy that has extra special features and 3 discs in both the Blu-ray and DVD:
• Stories from the Tributes
• Tribute Diaries
• Biographies (static pages)
Blockbuster appears to have the cheapest price in the UK. Both the Blu-ray and DVD contains an exclusive sleeve and a free £5 Hunger Games branded giftcard to spend at any Blockbuster (which is pretty sweet)
Asda comes with a free Mockingjay Pendant.
Play.com offers 4 free double sided art cards with the blu-ray.
HMV is the only store to have an exclusive steelbook cover (I’ve touched one, it looks good) on the Blu-ray and contains 3 discs.
That seems to be all the exclusives so pick your favourite. Personally, if you’re a tribute nut like me, Sainsbury’s seems to be the best choice as it has the most stuff included on the disc. Though I’m not too proud to admit that I wouldn’t mind a cool looking cover on my shelf (it’s the Capitol citizen in me). Anyway let us know in the comments which one you’re going for, which one you bought and what you think!